The Sustainable Development Goals are a set of 17 goals regarding prospective international development. They were introduced by the United Nations in 2015 and have been identified as the global goals for sustainable development.
Liofyllo incorporates and materializes 7 goals of this set through the following actions:
- Achievement of gender parity and empowerment of all women and girls: Liofyllo consists of five women. Diversity in the academic and experience backgrounds, as well as various soft and hard skills of each female – member can spur innovation and is inevitably conducive to the company’s rapid growth.
- Promoting sustainable, inclusive growth, employment and decent work for all: The legal form of Liofyllo (Social Cooperative Enterprise) supports social and solidarity economy by providing its members with equal conditions for managing and developing finances and human resources.
- Creating flexible infrastructures, promoting sustainable industrialization and fostering innovation: Through lab work, the inventors of this new material came up with a viable solution; thus nurturing green industry development and having strong environmental impact. Ongoing Research & Development creates the right conditions for expansion into more industrial areas with the intention of replacing non-environmentally friendly materials.
- Make Cities Smart, Secure, Alternative and Sustainable: According to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the UN, the ecosystem of cities should be a fertile ground for ideas, commerce, culture, science, productivity and social development. By recycling olive leaf biomass (according to the existing legislation, it is considered non-hazardous waste), Liofyllo actively involves itself into saving on human and financial resources spent on waste management.
- Ensuring sustainable consumption and production patterns: To ensure that future generations can meet their basic needs, rational management of natural resources and adoption of the principles of a circular economy in all sectors is of utmost significance. Our team is in perfect harmony with these principles as it mills the panels that are destroyed during the production process and re-uses them as raw material to create unique pieces of art and decoration.
- Urgent action to combat climate change and its repercussions: Our participation in conventions, workshops and social actions on upcycling, youth & startup entrepreneurship aims to awaken ecological awareness and familiarity of young people with green, social & feminine entrepreneurship. In addition, our product donations to NGOs and to the organizations we work with aim to create an experiential process in this climate action by presenting an alternative way of choosing special gifts, souvenirs & awards.
- Sustainable forest management, combating desertification, preventing and reversing soil degradation, halting biodiversity loss: One of the two types of panels made by Liofyllo (Welia) is an alternative to existing wood-based panels. The prime objective of our team is to restrain deforestation. An important parameter in this effort is the utilization of the olive wood, which until now has exclusively been used as solid fuel.